Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Quite the adventure

Last Saturday night Andres, our visitor from Santiago, was supposed to get in at something like 9 pm. Boat arrival times are not very reliable, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that he got in at 1:30 am. I called the Chilean Navy at Puerto Chacabuco and thought it was very cool that they updated me on the progress of his ship. Since he didn't know I was on my way he almost ended up sleeping on the ship overnight because it was too late to call and wake me. Little did I know that the night was going to turn into a weird and awkward adventure. To make a very long story short: Andres met two secessionist Texans who were moving to Patagonia in search of self-sustainable land and to escape the imminent civil war and an Italian tourist. When they heard that I was picking Andres up they asked me to drive them to Coyhaique and I had the open spaces to take them. The Texans turned out to be disrespectful, opinionated, rude, and the opposite of social human beings. One of the good things about the trip was that I had the opportunity to share my testimony and witness to them. Once we got to Coyhaique it was about 3 am and I had to drive around with these people in my car searching for a place for them to stay that night. I would have let them sleep in the park before putting my wife and son in danger by offering them a place to stay at our house. After about an hour and a half of our wandering they finally got a place. I unloaded their bags and quickly took off in order to get back to my warm bed and loving wife. It was a rough start to Andres' trip, but everything improved from that point. I'm just thankful that I didn't pick up serial murderers.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. Reminds me of when Jim Carey's character gave a homeless man a ride in "Yes Man." Only your story sounds worse. Bless you for still finding it in your heart to share your testimony! Glad you stayed safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm certain you left a lasting impression on them. They were not able to reciprocate the kindness, but received unconditional love; something they may not have experienced before. They experienced the Presence of Jesus through you and I believe they will know something was different. God had it all in His plan. Thank you for serving them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, glad everything worked out in the end - you just never know about people sometimes!

    ReplyDelete