Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Read the Bible through

I stumbled across a super cool website!

http://www.howlongdoesittaketoreadthebible.com/

If you test your reading level at this free website http://www.freereadingtest.com/, then you can use the first site to determine how long it would take you to read the whole Bible! I calculated if I read the Bible for 2-2.5 hours daily I'd finish it in just one month. That is with my below average reading speed. I read somewhere that the average reading speed of an adult is 250-300 words per minute and for a elementary school student it is 200. Surprisingly my reading level is pretty low, I came in at about 185 words per minute and scored an 80% on the comprehension test.

How long would it take you to read the Bible through? If you are the average adult reader then you could read the Bible through in one year by reading for just 7 minutes a day!

John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

2 comments:

  1. 7 minutes a day??? Really? I thought you had to read like 5 or 6 chapters a day to do it in a year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to these KJV statistics...
      Total chapters: 1,189
      Total verses: 31,102
      Total words: 788,258

      ...to finish the Bible in one year you would need to read per day:
      3 1/4 chapters
      86 verses
      2160 words

      The amount of minutes all depends on how fast you read. Given my slow 185 words per minute I'd need to read about 11 1/2 minutes a day (2160 words divided by 185 word per minute). I got the 7 minutes a day number from the average adult reader. If you read 300 wpm then it'd take 7.2 minutes a day. This is all in theory though since when we read we take notes, highlight, underline, meditate, search for cross-references, etc. Not to mention the fact that we aren't in a rush or trying to fill a quota, but rather aiming to hear from God.

      Delete