Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Redeeming the time

I am over halfway through my 20's, and although I'm still very young I am beginning to see that life is not as long as one might think. I wonder if as you get older you become more aware of the fact that life is short. Here are some Scriptures that challenge me to live for God today, and to efficiently use my time to carry out the great commission.

Ephesians 5:16
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 

I love the King James Bible in English, and I also love my Spanish Bible. They're the same Bible, and often times reading one of them helps me to understand the other. One example is Ephesians 5:16. Where it says "redeeming" in English, the Spanish says "taking advantage of". I want to take advantage of the time I've been lent.

James 4:13-14
13  Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 
14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 

Life is short.

Proverbs 27:1
Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. 

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember seeing a quote that impacted me:
"Most of us underestimate what we can do in 10 years, and overestimate what we can accomplish in 1 year."
I have a vision that will take decades to accomplish, but I don't want to get lost boasting myself of tomorrow and not being faithful today. Have you ever asked yourself how to be faithful in 10 years? The answer is to be faithful today. And then tomorrow, "be faithful today". And if you continue being faithful "today" then in 10 years you'll be found faithful.

Mathew 24:45-46
45  Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 
46  Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 

When I see the Lord, whether it's because my life on earth came to an end or because He returned to the earth for me, I hope that I will be found a faithful servant. What does a faithful steward do? In the absence of his Master he does what the Master bade him do.

No comments:

Post a Comment