Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Missions Conference

I'm so excited! We are planning our first ever missions conference. We are flying in Pastor Cristian Alarcon, a Chilean pastor who I became close friends with while I was living in Maipu in Santiago. He pastors Iglesia Bautista Fe where I taught in the Bible college and who is the sending church for Iglesia Bautista Vida that I helped start in its first year.

We already support one missionary whose name is Miguel Triano. We began supporting them on our first Sunday in hopes of setting the pattern for the rest of the life of this church. They are Mexican missionaries serving in Cape Coast, Ghana, Africa. I wrote to him tonight and asked if he could participate in the conference in some of the following ways:



  • Record and upload to youtube a special song done in a church service in Cape Coast
  • Record and upload a greeting (as long as he wants) to be played in the conference
  • Send us a Spanish sermon about missions, like about surrendering to go to the field or financially supporting missions (to be burned onto CDs and given to the brethren here)
  • If it could work, maybe we could try to skype with him in a service...and although we do have wireless at the property that one sounds a little more tricky


I am planning for us to take on at least one more missionary. We are hoping to be able to support a lower amount of missionaries at a higher amount of money per missionary. My idea is that because of that we'll hopefully have more interaction with the missionaries and be able to have a bigger impact in the regions we are invested in. Ideally this will also lend itself to church members being more involved our missionaries' lives like praying for them, writing to them, knowing the names of their families, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! So when is the conference? I completely support the idea of supporting fewer missionaries at higher levels. I heard about a church recently that was supporting a missionary at $800/month!! Can you believe that?
    Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our conference is July 7th-10th. I like the idea too, like I said in the post, but I must admit that there are definitely some advantages to having more churches supporting at a lower level. As a missionary I have seen that not all churches faithfully send in their checks, and when they are only $50 then you don't hurt too much, but at $800 if someone doesn't send in then you'll be in pain a little. Also, sometimes churches stop supporting altogether, and at $50 it can be recuperated a little easier, but $800 leaves quite a chunk missing. That's pretty cool that that church you heard about supports at so much...could I get their info? jk ;)

      Delete