Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas is a most wonderful time

It's Christmas time! I love Christmas time. I love how people are generally nicer. I love the music, yes, the music might be my favorite. I like the decorations: lights, ornaments, wreaths, etc. I like the drinks: hot cocoa  coffee, eggnog, etc. I find that people are more likely to listen to you talk to them about Christ. I know that the push of the political right is the put "Christ" back in Christmas. I kind of just feel neutral about all of that. There is no mandate or prohibition in the Bible about celebrating the birth of Christ, and that's why I feel fine about it all. On Sunday one of the boys in our church here asked me if Christmas was the day that Jesus was born. I told him, "Maybe!" And in my head I thought, "there is a 1/365 chance he was born that day!" I have read from differently people arguing about what day Jesus was or wasn't born, but at the end of the day none of them know when He was born either. Whenever He came, I'm so glad He did! And I'm so thankful for what happened the week of Passover (when He gave His life) and on that first Easter Sunday (when He resurrected)!

Down here in Chile we were invited to celebrate either Christmas or New Years with a family that isn't Christian. I asked a Chilean pastor friend of mine if he thought that one of those would be calmer (like, less drunkenness). He said that Christmas is better because people don't want to get crazy when baby Jesus was born. I thought that was interesting...almost superstitious. Drunkenness is listed as sin at any time (Galatians 5:21). There is a lot of superstition here. When you drive along the road there are a couple of things you see that show you some of the superstitions. One of them is little altars where you can park and light a candle to a dead "saint" in hopes that they will watch over you. Some people put cards with a picture of a saint and a prayer to him/her in their vehicles hoping that it will protect them. Another thing that you see driving is little homes that look like they could even be dog houses. They aren't dog houses though. They are built where a family member or loved one died, and it is because they believe that after the person dies their spirit stays there. So they take food and drink for their deceased one's spirit. It is a great comfort to think of the words of of Scripture that teach us to be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8 & Philippians 1:23).

Christmas will be different this year being far from so many that we love. I think it will be very special though. I see it as a time to form new traditions, and, while not replacing those we love who are so far away, a time to forge new relationships and love people here in Patagonia. Annie has some nice decorations up around the house, and we are planning to make paper snowflakes and watch Christmas movies. Sounds like a blast to me!

4 comments:

  1. It must be such a burden living life thinking you have to do all these things just to be safe. So much peace knowing God watches over us and those we have lost.

    Merry Christmas you three! We will miss you. Hope its a wonderful first Christmas in Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through this 7-step commenting process just to reiterate that the 7-step commenting process is highly annoying. But you're worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little "houses" along the road reminds me of a country that I was in that did the same thing, only I can't remember which country it was haha. (my memory is terrible =/)
    Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete