Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Medical Mission

In January a group of doctors and nurses from the United States will be coming to Chile to provide medical aide for free on one of the islands of Patagonia. There is a very large island (3,545 sq miles) in southern Chile called Chiloé. This isn't the island that the medical mission is going to. Chiloé is 3,545 square miles which is about three times the surface area of Rhode Island (to give you some reference). This island has many large cities on it. One of the smaller cities is a fishing town called Achao. My neighbor Fernando is from Achao. Not too far off the coast of Achao is an island called Isla Butachauques. This medical team is efficient in medical aide, but they aren't in Spanish! That is why my phone rang with a request to come along as a translator. I accepted and am so excited! It is for a week long the third week of January. What an opportunity! Pastor Reinhardt told me that the last time they did this they knocked on every single door on the island and over 50 people got saved. I am ecstatic for the opportunity. I know I will learn so much about Patagonian island culture. Maybe I'll even get to eat a curanto. Here are a couple of photos of curanto:




Curanto is a food that originates from Chiloé. I don't know the process too well but I know that they dig a hole, get rocks very hot, put giant leaves down at one point, and then they cook a mixture of seafood, pork, chicken, beef, and veggies in it for hours. My neighbor said that they're going to feed that to us there!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a lovo (sp?)in Fiji. =) They did that for us once while we were there.

    Sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete