Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

You don't need a wood stove in California

The week that we left California the temperature was above 100. Last night the temperature in Coyhaique was under 40 degrees...and its spring. The homes here are heated with slow combustion wood stoves. Using one is an art. If you were to have asked me what would be the most difficult part of moving to Chile a typical answer one could expect would be one of the following: money changing, the language, the culture, the food, etc. No, none of these has been the most difficult for me: it has been starting a fire! I tried what I learned from camping/boyscouts/summer camp: the teepee method. No luck. I have also had three people who have lived in this city for many years teach me. Do you know how humbling it is for a grown man to go to his neighbor and admit he doesn't know how to start a fire? Well, I have officially achieved the position of sissy gringo in his eyes! One of the three people who tried to teach me said to tear up some cardboard, pour some kerosene on them, stack smaller pieces of wood on them, and then light them before the kerosene turns to fumes. No luck. Another one of them said to drench some ashes in kerosene, put torn cardboard on them, stack smaller pieces of wood on them, and then light it. No luck. The third person told me to tear up cardboard, to absolute not use any kerosene, stack the wood, and light it. No luck. Each time I've been able to get some flames going, but they eventually go out. There are a lot of other things involved like knowing when to put larger wood on and knowing how much to keep your chute open or closed, but after much internet consultation I have come to the conclusion that my wood is wet. Somebody suggested these little bricks that continue to burn for awhile and that really help you to start a fire. I bought a couple of packs today. They come with 32 bricks each and they cost about $3 a pack. The man who sold them to me said that you only need one or two bricks per fire started. I must admit though, I am so determined to start a fire tonight that I will use all 64 bricks if I have to. I will persevere.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, yeah your wood must be wet! As I was reading your post I was going to suggest something like those bricks you found, we use something similar to that ourselves. Good luck, I hope you guys get a nice cozy fire going tonight!!

    ReplyDelete