Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

The firstfruits

In the time of harvest, the firstfruits are always very important. We read about a feast of firstfruits in Leviticus 23:9-14. We see in Proverbs 3:9 that God is interested in our firstfruits financially. Jesus, in relation to His resurrection from the dead, is called the firstfruits (1 Corinthians 15:20).

It is with great rejoicing that I write this entry. Yesterday I experienced the firstfruits in relation to the harvest of souls in this city. We have been here for 9 days. One of our first days here I gave a gospel tract (the Chick tract, "Guilty?") to a lady on a sidewalk near the plaza. Yesterday as I was parking my car a woman kept staring at me. I wasn't sure if she was just shocked to see a gringo or what. She was a large Mapuche woman. The Mapuche or an indigenous group here in Chile; some would call them Indians, like the American Indians, but they really don't like that word so I stick with Mapuche. She approached the car and said to me with absolutely no emotion in her voice, "I read the little book you gave me. It was beautiful." It was then that I remember who she was, asked her name, and she said Jennifer. I began a conversation with Jennifer about how to have her sins forgiven. It was very well received and she understood clearly so our conversation ended with her taking my hand as we bowed our heads to pray. She asked the Lord Jesus Christ to be her Saviour! It was wonderful. She didn't have a Bible so I have her a book of John and told her to start reading it. She gave me her address and told us that Saturday evenings or all day Sunday is a good time to visit. We'll be seeing her soon. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment