Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We're not in the big city anymore!

Annie and I are used to big city life. Going from the 10,000,000 Los Angeles metropolitan to the 50,000 city of Coyhaique is a big difference. It's even a great change from what I was used to when I lived here before in the Santiago Metropolitan. That was very evident yesterday when I went into the regional governing building of our state. I went in to check on what needs to be done for our visas and the entire line that I had to wait it was two people long. When I visited the foreign affairs building in Santiago there were somewhere around 100 people in line. The waiting room is a little larger in Santiago. What does this all equate to for us? Life is slower here. That has its positives and negatives. For example you may have to wait an extra five minutes in line while the cashier asks about the sick dog of the customer in front of you, or drive really slow behind a couple of men on horseback. But it also means that there aren't very many people here trying to get visas. The man who I dealt with yesterday assured me that the process would be very simple and that he would personally be handling everything. This is wonderful news for us! He was very kind and said if I ever need anything to just let him know!

Maybe if life is slower you can enjoy it more. You just have to learn to balance diligence and hard work with assimilation and learning to not live by the "time is money" policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment