Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chilean Independence Day


Today marks the start of Fiestas Patrias (Patriotic Festival) here in Chile. The 18th of September is their 4th of July, except rather than just celebrate is on the 18th it becomes basically a week-long ordeal. Today was a special day here for chilean churches. Pretty much all the churches have some combination of the following happening after service:

Choripan (barbeque'd chilean sausage served with bread and pebre/a chilean pico de gallo)


Traditional chilean outfits


Emboque (a little wooden toy)


It was a fun day for us. I preached at the church that I helped to start, Iglesia Bautista Vida (Life Baptist Church) and then afterwards we had an asado (bbq). I got the emboque on my first two tries...everyone was impressed of course (I guess this gringo has what it takes!). I got to see many of the people that I ministered to when I was here before. One of the dear women in the church brought some pretty pink flowers of Annie. And of course, as always, Micah was the life of the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment