Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

We are making progress toward leaving for the south. I finished the hymnal and dropped it off today at the printer; we're getting 75 copies. My guess is that 75 hymnals could comfortable serve 150 people. Also, I found out today that our car will be ready to be picked up tomorrow. The only thing impeding us from picking it up is the wire transfer. I sent it three days ago to my friend's bank, but it hasn't quite gone through yet and I need it to go through for us to be able to finish purchasing the car.

It also looks like we'll be getting cells phones this week. The plan I'm getting has 200 minutes to call anyone, unlimited internet, 100 messages, and 4 numbers that I can call with unlimited minutes. Here in Chile, the cell phone plans are pretty different from the U.S. The cell phone companies are really stingy with their minutes so when it comes to cell phones everyone really worries about their minutes. The way it works is when you call somebody you get charged minutes but they don't.

Today I ate at what is called el mercado central. It's like a flea market in downtown Maipú (the city where we're staying), and there are a bunch of typical Chilean restaurants there. I ate mushroom chicken which was  pretty normal, but the interesting thing was the appetizer they brought out. It was raw fish with onion and other fresh veggies in a lemon/vinegar mix. It was pretty tasty. The meal also included a salad (tomato w/cilantro), bread, and rice. I ended up full and my meal was just 2,000 pesos which is about $4.

One interesting difference in Chile is the difference between the comma and the period. Pretty much anywhere where we put a period in numbers they put a comma here, and vice versa. For example, the number two thousand would be 2.000. Or two and a half would be 2,5 instead of 2.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment